Forgot your Windows admin password?
Reinstall? Oh no... But not any more...
- This is a utility to reset the password of any user
that has a valid local account on your Windows system.
- Supports all Windows from NT3.5 to Win7, also 64 bit and also the
Server versions (like 2003 and 2008)
- You do not need to know the old password to set a new one.
- It works offline, that is, you have to shutdown your computer
and boot off a CD or USB disk to do the password reset.
- Will detect and offer to unlock locked or disabled out user accounts!
- There is also a registry editor and other registry utilities that
works under linux/unix, and can be used for other things than
Windows stores its user information, including crypted versions of the passwords,
in a file called 'sam', usually found in \windows\system32\config.
This file is a part of the registry, in a binary format previously
undocumented, and not easily accessible. But thanks to a German(?) named
B.D, I've now made a program that understands the registry.
This site provides CD and floppy images for end users to easily edit
their forgotten passwords. But it also provides full source code and
binary builds of the tools to allow others to use as they like for
other purposes. Registry format documentation also available.
Latest release is 110511 (2011-05-11)
The following is available for download and information:
- Some major! new features for people using the registry utilites,
but not much changes to password reset.
- New site, official URL is now: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
- All releases still contains old mail address, please note NEW
mailaddress is firstname.lastname@example.org. Old mailaddress vil be
invalid after January 1st 2010.
- No new release, 2008-08-02 is still newest. Hope to release new
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER. THE AUTHOR IS NOT
RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY THE (MIS)USE OF THIS SOFTWARE!
Site graphics and some design by http://www.ice-warrior.info